How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I had a one night stand which resulted in a pregnancy.

This answer was rated:

I had a one night stand which resulted in a pregnancy. Mother chose to keep the baby, born in June. I made it clear I don't want to be actively involved in the child's life. It was never meant to be than just a one night stand. I suffer from adult ADHD and currently receive ESA and PIP payments. I am regularly seen by my phsychiatrist who is helping me deal with the emotional impact this has had on me and my relationship with my long term girlfriend. However, the mother is threatening to tell my parents, whom I have not yet been able to tell. Does she have a legal right to tell my family against my wishes? She says she doesn't want or expect anything from me but wants the child to have a relationship with its grandparents. Does she have the legal power to make that call?

Hi, thank you for your question. Are you in England or Wales and how old is the child?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Child was born in June, so 3 months.

Are you in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in England

Thanks for confirming. Legally, the child has a right to a relationship with its extended family - including grandparents. It is likely that the mother wishes to exercise this and it would be difficult to prevent her from doing so - legally if she tells them she is not breaking any laws.

However, given the sensitivity of the issue, I would suggest that you amicably agree with her that you will tell them yourself as this would likely be better than it coming out of the blue from her.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you