How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12081
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I gave my daughter and her boyfriend a loan of £5000 for a

Customer Question

I gave my daughter and her boyfriend a loan of £5000 for a deposit for a house but they sold it but split up and he got her to sign all over to him with her getting nothing out the house but he then bought a flat which he put all the money to he said he would pay me back in 2yrs time it is now been 10 yrs. I text him he knows he owes me but he thinks my daughter also owes the other half but he still has the flat and she has nothing. I called his bluff saying would it make it easier for my daughter to go back onto the flat so she owes me half yhen he text back saying that would be the best thing to what is the next step can you recommend a lawyer to go and see in Glasgow so I can explain more in detail.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

I am concerned that this debt may be time barred. In Scots law a debt becomes time barred unless there is a written acknowledgement of it within five years of the date of raising court proceedings. Assuming time bar doesn't apply you can sue him for the money as the debt is what is called joint and several. Experts on JustAnswer aren't allowed to recommend specific solicitors but you can contact the Law Society of Scotland and ask them to recommend a civil court solicitor in Glasgow. www for contact details. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am creditd for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have left it for so long as when I bumped into him a few years back he said he had not forgot about the money he owes me but he said he will pay once he gets on his feet. He has since got married had 2 kids and he has 2 businesses so I thought he is well on his feet so I will now approach him. I have loads of texts back and forward between us and him admitting he owes me and he will pay. But the main thing I wanted to know is he had admitted to put my daughter back on his flat he let's out to his brother how do I go about doing that.thank you.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

He would have to instruct a solicitor to transfer the title back into joint names. If there is a mortgage in his name this might not be possible without also changing the mortgage. Is that what you mean?