How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I understand that personal debt is exactly that, but it is

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam
I understand that personal debt is exactly that, but it is different for the IR who see married people as one unit.
In the past my husband has had a court case with the IR for Tax evasion. He made himself bankrupt and had the court case closed.
I know that he is most likely to have another IR tax case for evasion as he has not paid his taxes again for some time.
We are separated and have our own addresses.
I am most concerned that as we are still legally married the IR can approach me for his unpaid tax bill.
Do I need to be completely divorced from him or is separated enough to disconnect myself from his financial incompetence?
Thank you for your advice.

Hello Susan my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

How much is the debt do you know please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is unknown.I just need to know whether I am liable to pay for any tax for him as I am separated or do I need to start divorce proceedings?


If he owes HMRC it is NOTHING whatsoever to do with you. You wont have to pay it.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. That is all.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you