How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband and I have separated recently. We agree on how

Customer Question

My husband and I have separated recently. We agree on how much maintenance I should get, and for how long, and a cash lump sum.
Can we write our own legally binding agreement/contract between us, in order to avoid solicitors fees?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please tell me what further info you need?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry about that - some of my text was lost!

Do you intend to start divorce proceedings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eventually yes, but it's not a priority, unless it has to be...
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

If you want it to be fully legally binding then it needs to be a Final Financial Order within Divorce Proceedings.

However if this is not something you wish to do at this stage then yes you can prepare a Separation Agreement

and there is a template here

(there are others)

However if you wish it to be as enforceable as possible you should both have separate direct legal advice on it

Please ask if you need further details