How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Over four years ago I paid for a family history research

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon. Over four years ago I paid for a family history research service. It was somewhere in the region of £600. Since then, I have had little contact with the person - I have sent him emails with the information of details and photographs I've had, and aside from him occasionally acknowledging the emails, I have heard absolutely nothing from him. I've sent emails chasing him, I've left messages on his website, I called him on his 0845 number, when he apologises and promises an update, then I hear nothing from him again. I have tried reporting him to Kent Trading Standards (he is based in Gravesend) but they haven't returned my call. Could you possibly advise what I could do next, please?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

How did you pay for the family history service?
Do you know the sellers address?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ash - I paid via online banking (but unfortunately cannot remember which account I paid from) and yes, I do know the seller's address
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay - not sure if I'm doing something wrong here. I do not want to pay £47 per month for this service, I thought it was a £47 one-off fee for a 30-min consultation, but I'm not seeing any replies. Perhaps I ought to cancel my request and reclaim my payment?

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already told the chap I am going to take him to court (have sent several emails and told him on the telephone that I will do so, but he has just ignored me). I spoke to the 0845 number the other day and someone answered, then hung up the phone. I've tried contacting the Trading Standards Office who have not returned my calls, and I've tried to complete the online Small Claims Court form, but it is very confusing. So I know what I need to do, but am hitting brick walls, so I think I may have just wasted another £47 asking you. Could you please just confirm that I will not be paying £47 per month for this answer, as this is not what I wanted. Thank you

You can add the £47 to the cost of the claim.

Have you tried completing the claim form online at: ?
If so, which part are you stuck on and I can help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, my CC company just called to ask me about this payment transaction to you, as it was apparently suspicious. Could you please just confirm that this is just a one-off payment of £47, and I haven't subscribed to £47 per month - I do not wish to do that. Thanks. As for the website, at the moment it is saying 'Whoops - Page Broken' so I can't tell you where I've got stuck. I'll have to try again at a later date, but do it on my own, as I can't afford to pay another £47 to help me to fill out a form. Thank you anyway.

One off - yes.

Sure, its a one off question so when you get back to - I can help you. Just come back to this question and we can work through the form together.

Can I help with anything else today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, Ash - I was worried that I'd signed up to something I couldn't get out of then. Phew! Thanks for your advice - that's all for now. Enjoy your weekend.
Kind regards,

Dont worry you haven't. In the meantime if I could ask you to rate my service to you before you go today.

The question does NOT close and you can come back to it and ask follow up questions for free.

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you