How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71131
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My address has been used as the registered address of a

This answer was rated:

My address has been used as the registered address of a vehicle whose owner (by dint of sheer chance) I have identified. I also know where the owner lives and the registration number of the vehicle. I would like to take further action. Can you help?

For what loss?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't suffered financial loss, as (I hope) I have nipped this in the bud in time

OK. so what are you hoping to do?

I presume you have told the DVLA?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have told the DVLA who have issued me with an exemption certificate against claims arising from driving infringements

Ok. I'm not sure what you were hoping to do then?

You can make a report to the police although they may not be interested.

If you have suffered no loss then there is no claim in compensation.

You can only claim compensation for your losses in the UK.

I could do a call but not until tomorrow morning now?

To resolve it though a report to the DVLA and one to the police is the way forward.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, thank you. ***** can see the principle of 'compensation for loss' applies. Do the DVLA follow these things up rigorously? Or are they more tigers with paper teeth?

I think they would have an interest in false registrations.

If this has been registered at your address to avoid detection then that would probably be interesting to them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright. Thank you. I will leave it there.You've been helpful

No problem.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you