How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35064
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can the CSA take my deferred pension. I am 67 years old and

Customer Question

can the CSA take my deferred pension . I am 67 years old and they have just contacted me saying I owe them from1990 . In my mind I don't owe them anything . So do I take my deferred pension now ???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. When there are CSA arrears the CSA will need to recover the outstanding amount within 24 months of notifying you and you can reach agreement on a monthly amount on this basis with them.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** i have been a solicitor for more than 30 years

The CSA do not have to collect the arrears within two years of notifying you at all - they just always try and do so.

If the CSA believe that you are in arrears then then will pursue you and they can indeed take money from your pension - or take your passport or your driving licence or your house.

Whether of not you owe them anything in your mind you need to find out whether or not there are arrears and deal with them

You should contact them - in writing - and ask for a full accounting so that you can refute the claims properly

Please ask if you need further details