How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My husband has bipolar, (hyper manic) and we have a 2yo son.

Customer Question

My husband has bipolar, (hyper manic) and we have a 2yo son. Last month my husband was detained under Section 2 of the Mental Health Act and the authorities informed Children Services who are conducting a Child Protection Assessment. (Section 47). A social worker has visited the family home twice and made a handful of calls to me and other professionals. On her last visit she said that they are planning to have a child protection conference b/c they think our son could suffer harm if my husband relapses again. (Kindly note they are thinking of the future, as at present our son has not suffered harm) Overall, she's satisfied with everything else, i.e the house is immaculately clean, our son is well groomed and well looked after. The Nursery feedback is excellent and so is the GP's review on our son. She finds our son shy but it's been put down by the nursery and the GP that he's only shy of strangers and not those he mingles with.
I was asked if my husband starts to feel unwell, what will I do - my first port of call will be to ask family members to look after our son while my husband gets treated. There is no way I would have father and son living under the same roof. Once my husband is well our son can come home. - My husband gets better in 3wks and is usually discharged, hence the prognosis is good. The social worker wasn't happy with this as my son could suffer emotional neglect if he were to live with his paternal grandparents or other members of the family.
My question is can they remove our child b/c of my husband's condition?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How long would your child need to be with other family members?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare, thanks for your email.I would say one week. Once i notice early signs of relapse, our son has to live with his paternal grandparents.