How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10972
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I have a taxation question. The situation is as follows. My

This answer was rated:

I have a taxation question. The situation is as follows. My parents, who live in Germany, would like to gift me roughly £85.000. They would like to transfer this money from Germany to the UK. I would like to use this money towards a deposit to buy property in the UK.
Would you be able to comment on whether and to what degree inheritance tax in the UK is applicable and what rules apply.
Many thanks.
Best regards,
Thomas Matheus

1. Dear *****, Inheritance only applies to you if your parents die within 7 seven years of the making of the gift. Essentially, there is no Gift tax in the UK but Inheritance tax applies as a residual tax where the person gifting the gift does not live for seven years. Essentially, there is a tapering level of tax over the seven years during which the IHT rate reduces to zero over those seven years. It makes no difference that your parents live in Germany. Once you, the beneficiary, are present in the UK you are subject to the British rules.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you