How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12081
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Could you advise me if I should divorce my spouse in the UK

Customer Question

Hi there
Could you advise me if I should divorce my spouse in the UK or South Africa after he has admitted adultery and having affairs.
We were both born in the UK and married in the UK over 30+ years ago.
We have both been expats for over 25 years. I live in South Africa and I have a residence permit. My spouse does not hold this document as he works abroad the majority of the time and rarely returns to SA. However, still supports me as I cannot work due to ill health.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

If neither of you reside in the UK you would not satisfy jurisdiction requirements for divorce in the Uk. Where you were born or were married doesn't matter. Residence is the issue when ascertaining if a particular country has jurisdiction. You will have to have this dealt with in South Africa. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.