How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My child's father is on the birth certificate but doesn't

Customer Question

My child's father is on the birth certificate but doesn't see him very often I want to add my surname to my child's is this possible without consent from the father. My son has his father's atm
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old is the child

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's 4
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid that the name can only be changed with the agreement of the father or an Order from the Court.

If you wish to hyphenate the name then it is possible that the court might agree - but not certain I am afraid

Please ask if you need further details