How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I got stopped in cornwall on7/8/16 for not having insurance

This answer was rated:

I got stopped in cornwall on7/8/16 for not having insurance on my son in laws car as my insurance want cover it I got home today to find a letter in the name of Sinclair which has not been used by me for over 40years I was asked for my licence which I gave to the police man my name on my licence is miles has been miles for ne'er 35years how did they get divorced name and what shall I do as I've got to pay fine

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically I want to know what I can do as my name is ***** ***** has not been for 40 years and the summons has come in with this name on my licence is in miles and never been in Sinclair

It really doesn't make much difference.

You can write to them putting them on notice of your name change. However, there is no point in challenging this on that basis.

There is case law on what makes a summons defective and it literally has to be such that you couldn't understand it was for you. There is no doubt to whom this was addressed. You recognise the name and know it relates to you. That is not a defective summons.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you