How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am a self-employed driver contracted to British Car

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am a self-employed driver contracted to British Car Auctions Logistics Ltd.
One of the other drivers should have been sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution for exceeding the speed limit in Nottingham on 1st August 2016, his call sign is A 1056. My call sign is A 156
BCAL erroneously sent my details !!!!!!
I believe this to be an infringement of the Data Protection Act ??? Am I correct and I also believe I am due an apology at least ???
***** *****e

Why won't they apologise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not asked for an apology yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will write to BCAL and Nottinghamshire Police now

I'm afraid I cannot agree this is a DPA issue.

They were under an obligation to disclose the identity of the driver. That over rides the DPA. They got it wrong which is another issue. Obviously they should put that right.

It is perfectly reasonable to demand an apology if you can be bothered with committing the time. It is quite unlikely they would refuse but if they do there isn't a legal means of forcing an apology largely because it is fairly worthless.

The bigger issue here is that they have named you so

the current prosecution will be considered against you with which you must deal.

You could ask for an apology though. I wouldn't focus on that. I would focus on getting them to correct this which is the bigger issue and more worthy of your time and effort.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, that is fine for nowThank you very much

No problem.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you