How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I paid for a transaction through online banking for some

Customer Question

I paid for a transaction through online banking for some goods (£280)
The payee advised that the account had since been closed and the funds would bounce back within 21 days.
My bank has since advised (almost 3 weeks later) that the recipient is refusing to return the funds and to now seek legal advice
How can I resolve this issue?
You help you be appreciated
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've directly asked him on many occasions to return the money as I need it. All he says is I willBut still nothing 3 weeks on
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the basis for the refusal now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is not refusing but has failed to return my finds 3 weeks on.Bank is saying that the third parties bank has advised them that their client won't return fundsThis doesn't make sense as he stated that bank account is closed to funds should automatically bounce back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please note I paid £280 to the closed account as well as an additional £280 to the right account
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank youThat was very informative
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long is a reasonable timeframe within which I should receive the refund ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

14 days.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank youHave a wonderful day.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You as well! If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.