How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I got a court hearing date regards small shoplifting.

This answer was rated:

i got a court hearing date regards ***** *****
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I was chards wis stolet several items of clothes of value 148.50

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I have received letter to a court that I was charged with stolen goods of 148.50. It wasn't my intention but it appears I was accused of stealing and now have to go to the court
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid Retail Loss Prevention over 200 pounds for the settlement but it seems this is separate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I do in this case? Do I need to get a solicitor to represent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyone?

Yes I am considering what you have written

Do you have previous? Do you accept you shop lifted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I don't
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not accepted I was ready to pay at that time I forgot to pay for clothes
I sad I can pay or cash o card but security didn't except that
ant call o police
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
police come fill the papers ant sed you will be askt to come to court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thay was not intrested in that that we sed that we just forgot to pay for good and and we have no intence to steel enithing

Ok - then you just plead not guilty. The matter will be set down for a trial.

You may wish to be represented as that may give you the best chance.

The Police would have to show that you were dishonest and meant to take the clothing.

If you had no intent then you are not guilty.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we sed to police that but thay just fill the papers and let as go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we was asking to pay for clothis because we need them is that what we come heare to shop but thay not eaven alud us to pay and keep it

Yes I understand. But if you have been charged then it will go to Court.

The Police need to prove you were going to take them and not pay.

If the Police can not do that then you will be not guilty.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I need a lower o barista to represent me in court
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is gona go to higher court
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
o desigion will made at the same date,?

This will be Magistrates Court.

You could have a Barrister to represent you yes.

The first hearing will be a plea, the second hearing will be the trial

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
more less does it will be enoth barrister o do I need a lower as well

You can do direct to a public access barrister which means you wont need a lawyer (Solicitor)

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you