How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I am a tenant living in a self contained accommodation but

This answer was rated:

I am a tenant living in a self contained accommodation but share garden, washing facilities with the resident land lady in their kitchen and also use their living room to entertain my guests, do they need to evict me through court. They are saying that I am an excluded occupier therefore only a letter with reasonable notice is sufficient.


Thanks for your question.

I can confirm that because you live in the same property as your landlady you do not have the same rights as a tenant under an assured shorthold tenancy, unfortunately. Your landlady is correct. You can be asked to leave on reasonable notice.

Do you have any questions or queries in relation to my reply? I am happy to assist further.

Please can I kindly request that you accept /positive rate my reply otherwise the website will not pay me for helping you. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response. So you are 100% that I can be evicted without the court procedures and the fact that my self contained accommodation does not change my circumstances.

You share facilities and the landlady lives in the premises. You would be regarded as a lodger, not a tenant.

propertylawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you