How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10984
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My beautiful, 70 yr old rose tree, in full bloom, has been

This answer was rated:

My beautiful, 70 yr old rose tree, in full bloom, has been chopped bare by my neighbour. This tree belonged to my grandmother, and so is very dear to me.
The cottage next door is up for sale, hence the frenetic plant trimming. The ownen, which unfortunately included my climbing rose. The very least he could have done was to come and discuss. He went way over my boundary.
I sent the owner, via Knight Frank, an email asking to discuss. No reply. I then sent a letter - again he has ignored the fact that this is his responsibility. I am furious, where do I go from here?
Looking forward to hearing from you, Judith Robinson

1. Dear Judith, your neighbour could cut back the rose tree to the mid point line of the boundary. However, any cutting which occurred on your side of the boundary, such as here, is unlawful and you are entitled to compensation for the damage caused. In essence you own anything growing in your property, including the rose bush. Your neighbour is entitled to cut back any overhanging plants or rose trees to the midpoint line of the boundary. Beyond this, it is unlawful to cut anything.

2. At this stage, if your neighbour is refusing to acknowledge correspondence from you, I would suggest you send the owner a solicitor's letter calling upon him to compensate you for cutting your rose tree.

3. Be aware that ultimately, you can sue for the damage caused here. You will get compensation for the damage caused. However, it would be better if you could negotiate a figure with your neighbour.

4. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you