How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I moved out of house a while ago. When i moved out we had to

Customer Question

Hi, I moved out of house a while ago. When i moved out we had to pay the last gas and electricity bill. We then aksed the landlord for the deposit so we could pay this bill. He said he did not what to give it before the bill was paid. So we agreed that HE would pay the bill and deduct the amount from our deposit. Now he still has not paid this bill and he is not answering any of our calls. what should i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If the bill is in your name you are still liable for it, I would recommend that you pay the bill so the utilities companies do not sue you and damage your credit score. You can then sue the landlord to recover the money that he has taken. How much is the bill? Give the landlord a 7 day warning to pay, if he still does not pay you can commence a claim here - I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, so i will pay the bill.
The Bill was around 600. But this landlord has caused us more problems while we were living in his property. There was a boiler that was leaking co2 fluids and they were so high that the guy repairing it said we were lucky not to die from this. We were also the one who had to take the initiative to buy this co2 detector. Is there any way of sueing him for this as well? Thank you
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Thank you . Fortunately you were not injured by this, but if you want to hold the landlord accountable I would recommend you report him to the local council. Is the landlord expecting you to sue him? Was the deposit placed in a secure bond? Was this an Assured shorthold tenancy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, the thing with the leaking co2 fluids happened a while ago. So don't know how much i can do about it now. The deposit was secure in a secure bond. We agreed that he would pay the bill and take the money from the deposit but he never paid. I have a text message saying all of this that he send me. (as evidence i guess) I don't know what he is expecting, because i can't contact him. I Guess he thinks that he can just ignore me and steal the money. But maybe if a some with authority calls him maybe he will pay. But i dont know. Do you think sueing him is the best option? and what do you think i can get out of it? and is it a long process?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. I think you should send him a warning, say you have had to pay the bill yourself, if he does not now return the money within 7 days you will commence proceedings against him. If he wont voluntarily pay you will have no option but to sue him. Kind regards AJ