How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

Is property rental - ie tenancy agreement a regulated

This answer was rated:

is property rental - ie tenancy agreement a regulated activity ?

In what way do you mean regulated?

Can you explain you situation in more detail please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
39;regulated ' as goods are under the sale of goods act , are services regulated under the regulated services part of a similar act ?

What is the issue exactly, have you paid money but not been granted a tenancy? Can you clarify please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no , i signed a tenancy agreement and the flat had an at risk gas certificate togehter with open loose wires , i stayed in the flat one night returned the keys and the agent agreed in an in email that the flat was uninhabitable ....however i cannot get the deposit and monthly rent back ........circa £5000 .......what act am i covered by - i want to issue a small claim online

So you have email correspondence from the agent confirming that the flat is uninhabitable and that you have vacated.

This is what you do:

1. Formally write a letter to the agent, set out the facts, refer to emails (date/time) which confirm property is uninhabitable and that you vacated and returned keys. Give the agent 14 days to return funds in full. State if funds not refunded you will go to court and in addition will claim costs and interest at the court rate of 8%. You have to do this before you go to court.

2. If No response, you file a claim via (online small claims court). Complete the claim form etc, pay the fee, court will issue the claim on the agent. If the claim and particulars of claim are issued together then the agent has 14 days to pay, defend claim. If the agent fails to respond you go back to court for judgment in default. If agent files a defence you have a specified time to respond.

Do you have any questions or queries? I am happy to assist further.

Please can I kindly request that you accept /positive rate my reply otherwise the website will not pay me for assisting you. Many thanks.

propertylawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you