How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10264
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I was lodging with my partner family and whilst i was on

Customer Question

Hi i was lodging with my partner family and whilst i was on holiday they entered my room within the house and took personal information from my room.. is this invasion of privacy?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not pay to stay there as it was my partners family home. But i did have my own room. A notebook was taken from my room with personal information on it and photocopied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need an answer on this as soon as possible please
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please continue but i do need an answer as soon as possible please.Ashleigh
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Throughout Great Britain, there is no statutory right to privacy.

There is the right to a private and family life which was incorporated into the Human Rights Act

but wouldn’t assist here unless you wanted to risk lots of money going to court on an action that is likely to fail.

If you had a tenancy agreement, it is a breach of the landlords covenant (express or implied) for quiet enjoyment (to leave you alone).

In England it could be harassment if it’s part of a course of action or in Scotland, harassment is dealt with as breach of the peace, all of which is done by the police.

Whilst there may be a civil action you could take, to prevent them doing it again, there is probably nothing that you can do in all reality about what has already happened.

If you did decide to take them to court for trespass or invasion of privacy, it’s likely to cost many thousands of pounds with not much of a result.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.