How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Divorced in 2003, did not go through solicitor for financial

Customer Question

Divorced in 2003, did not go through solicitor for financial settlement, just agreed between the two of us. Received a lump sum and both signed a sheet of paper for husband to pay a pension amount to me when I am 65. Now husband has sold the family home and moved into a new house with lady friend, taken early retirement and so has she. I would like the pension part of agreement to be put on a more court binding basis, and if possible get pension amount index linked the same as his full pension is. The only other thing I need to add is that I married in 2004 after knowing the man for four months and which was on the rebound from my husband of 22 years, I really still loved him, and only divorced him because he was always away working and I was lonely with him and without him if that makes sense, I told him this and he said tough it was his job so I filed for a divorce. Anyway that marriage only lasted 1 1/2 years, he took monies from my account and ran off with another Naval officer (man) and left for USA and I never saw him again. What I would like to know is can I get a court agreement that I will received my agreed pension amount as I fear that if he marries his wife will not let him pay me without this or that even if he does marry she could influence his decision about paying it to me in 9 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still on good terms with my husband of 22 years, and we have two boys that keep us together talking. Concerned that woman who has moved into new larger home with him will do the same as was done to me, take his money and leave him. My boys and my pension need protecting, hence the question.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best t help you.

I am sorry but the fact that you remarried means that it is no longer possible for you to make any application regarding this pension.

I am afraid you are reliant on his continuing good will and honour.

Please ask if you need further details