How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50156
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have just purchased a porta chair for my mother from a

This answer was rated:

I have just purchased a porta chair for my mother from a local chair manufacturer.
Unfortunately it is completely unsuitable and does not meet my expectations and my mother's need.
I have approached the supplier for a refund and they have refused and have only to change a couple of things : reupholstered the back of the chair and supply an additional battery.
This will not alter the fact the chair is impossible to manoeuvre in mother's room and access the garden, is what the chair was intended for .
Can you advise me of what to do next to try and get my money back
Regards ***** *****

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

When did you buy the chair?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ordered on 28.6.16 with £750 deposit
Final payment paid beginning of August for £2099.50
Finally received the chair on 17.08.16

Thanks leave it with me please I will reply this afternoon.

Many thanks for your patience. When a consumer makes a purchase from a business seller, they will have certain 'statutory' rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The law states that the goods must be:

· of satisfactory quality – they must not be faulty or damaged when you receive them;

· as described – they must match any description given to you at the time of purchase; and

· fit for purpose – they should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for,

If they do not match the above requirements, you will have certain legal remedies against the seller. Your rights will not be against the manufacturer as they will only be responsible if there was a manufacturer’s warranty or guarantee with the goods. Also note that there is no protection against fair wear and tear, misuse or accidental damage, faults that were pointed out at the time of sale or if you change your mind and no longer want the goods.

If the goods do not meet the criteria mentioned above, you will have the following rights:

1. Reject them and request a refund - this is only possible if the rejection occurs within 30 days of purchase (or delivery if it was delivered at a later date).

2. Ask for a repair or replacement – if you are too late to reject the goods or do not wish to get a refund straight away, you can ask the seller for a repair or replacement. If a repair has been arranged but has failed, or if a repair or replacement are not possible, you are still entitled to ask for a refund, or a price reduction. Alternatively you could get a second repair or replacement at no extra cost to you. However, the retailer can refuse if they can show that your choice is disproportionately expensive compared to the alternative.

A useful rule is that if a fault appears within the first 6 months after purchase, the law assumes that they did not meet the statutory requirements at the time of sale. If the retailer disagrees, it is for them to prove that this was not the case. However, if the fault occurs more than 6 months after purchase, it would be down to the consumer to prove that they did not meet the statutory requirements set out above at the time of sale.

If there is still time to reject the goods and request a refund, you may do so. If you are outside of the initial 30 days and are too late to reject them, you can still try and resolve this by contacting the seller and asking them for a repair or replacement. You can quote the applicable rights you have under the Consumer Rights Act as mentioned above. If they appear reluctant to assist, write to them one more time, warn them that they have 7 days to comply and inform them that if they fail to meet their legal obligations, you will have no choice but to report them to Trading Standards and start legal proceedings to seek compensation for your losses.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow if they refuse to resolve this and you want to get your money back, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive sent them this letter""To whom it may concernI placed an order with your company for a porta chair on 28/06/2016. This was delivered on 17/08/2016. The "portable" chair your company has sold me is not as described or fit for purpose, and consequently I am demanding a full refund; which I am well within my rights to do so.You have described the product as "bespoke" despite the fact that no measurements were taken at any point. I feel I was mis-sold this product; it is cumbersome, difficult to manoeuvre, unsuitable for the space and completely unsuitable for someone with my mothers health problems. Your sales representative sold this chair to me regardless of these facts.The finish of the product is appalling for the price but really this is a superficial problem in comparison to the functionality - it simply does not work as described.Every aspect of delivering from your company has been an infuriating and long winded process.I am entitled under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for a full refund within 28 days, please take this letter as my formal request for a refund of the full price £2,849.50.Yours sincerely,R Rutter"How do you think we should proceed if they still refuse to refund?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

My apologies. I sent you the above reply by accident. I am in court today but I will look into this and get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you

Hi there, if they reject a refund then you can seek compensation for the amount of the chair or the difference of a replacement one.

Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Does this answer our query? Please remember to leave your rating as it otherwise does not recognise the time I have spent assisting you, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just received a telephone call from the sales manager of Willowbrook offerind a refund of £1000 and to reupholster the chair. This is still not acceptable as its not just the covering but also the inability to movethe chair around mom's flat and to take the chair outside which was what the chair was purchased for
Can you give me any advise as to what to do next , I still insist that a full refund would only be the acceptable course of action for me
Regards ***** *****

Hi there happy to answer follow up queries if you could please leave your rating for the responses so far, thanks

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you. If they refuse to issue a full refund and continue only offering you a partial refund or a repair then you will have to consider taking this further as explained above. You cannot force them to negotiate or offer you a refund voluntarily so if that is not possible you may have to seek further redress through the steps mentioned above - these would be your only options in the circumstances

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent willowbrook an email to refuse their offer explaining the main issue is the product doesnt meet any of the criteria I needed for my mom and require a full refund. Also that I would like all correspondence from them in writing from today so I have written evidence of what is said
Regards Rosina

OK so you are taking the right steps, as mentioned you can try all of this now but if they refuse to resolve this then your only option is to take the matter to the small claims court and hopefully the closer you get to issuing a claim the more they may consider resolving this rather than have to sped time and resources defending a claim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Ben
I just thought I'd let you know that Willowbrook have now agreed to refund us in full the porta chair.
Thank you so much for your help
Regards ***** *****

Great news, glad it has been resolved to your satisfaction