How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My ex partner refuses to give back my 9 month old daughter

Customer Question

My ex partner refuses to give back my 9 month old daughter what can I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He saying all sorts of lie's. I'm living with my mum and dad, in a lovely house iv got all the support I need. My daughter was so happy there. We are all heartbroken . He lives alone with here he as mental health problems, he's been in jail, please I wanted my daughter back she maybe in danger
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The police have been round they only told me she looked happy enough, but that's no enough for me to know, I need to see my daughter please help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Every one is so worried. She is very well looked after with a loving family, he's all alone, I worry to how he's coping with her, please help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an appointment to attend to so I will be back later thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. The police will not deal with this matter unless there are child protection concerns and therefore you should pursue the matter through the family courts.

You will initially need to make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for a child arrangement order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1. The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you