How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10401
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

When I was about 14 I use to touch my younger sisters bum

This answer was rated:

When I was about 14 I use to touch my younger sisters bum and now I have been given and accepted a caution from the police the incident happened in the mid 70s I have now been put on the sex offenders register is this right as it was 40+ years ago

Did your sister make the complaint?

Why did you accept the caution?

Did you take legal advice on the effect of the caution?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my sister did
Because it seemed the best option
And was told that it would not go on my criminal record
Because I accepted what I had done I thought I didn't need a solicitor
I was about 14 and she was about 10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you tell me if what they have done is right

You committed a criminal offence. It is indecent assault on a minor. It is indecent assault even if she consented because a 10-year-old is not able to give consent.

The reason that this wasn’t prosecuted was because of your ages and the length of time and lack of evidence. If you pleaded not guilty, there was only a slim chance that this would have come up with a guilty verdict.

In that respect, to an extent, you have shot yourself in the foot by accepting the Caution which the police have “slipped in”. Because it’s a caution and not a criminal offence, it is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act but will appear under “Other Relevant Information” on an enhanced DBS check.

Unfortunately there is no mechanism for getting a caution removed or revoked or appealed or changing your mind.

I’m sorry, I know it’s not the answer you wanted.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to know if it's right for them to put me on the sex offenders register
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I accept the caution but not being on the sex offenders register I just need to know if they are right to do this

Unfortunately, yes, they are.The sex offenders register contains the details of anyone convicted, cautioned or released from prison for sexual offence against children or adults since September 1997, when it was set up.

Here it is from the Guardian newspaper is just one example.

F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you for your help