How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been leaving with my girlfriend for 18 months in a

This answer was rated:

I have been leaving with my girlfriend for 18 months in a rent flat . We have both signed a bilateral contract. Both responsible for bills but she has never paid any rent or bills . Not even a penny. She was always promising paying something in the next few months but that has never happened. We split up last month and she did not pay even for professional cleaner. All my bills were about £32.000 all together ( London) for the last 18 months.
Is there any chance I can get any of the money back from her? She has got full time job since 13 months .
Thank you

Hi, thank you for your question. Was there a formal agreement or intention between you to equally share the costs you refer to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We changed the flat last time 6 months ago and there and there was stated I am responsible for £700 and she was responsible for £800 of the rent in our contract. But both times our contracts states we are both responsible for each others rent. I was always paying myself from my bank account. She has never paid any bill including council tax

Initially you should be formally and in writing requesting her payment towards her share of the outgoings as agreed between you and for you to give her a reasonable timeframe to do so, after which you can consider pursuing a money claim against her which can be commenced online here:

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I include exactly in an official letter to my ex-girfriend asking for my money back ?
Have you got any templates ?
Does the letter need to be delivered by post or can I hand it to her directly myself?

It should just specify the amount you are seeking, why you are seeking it and refer to any discussions with dates in which such agreement was raised. I would suggest you send a copy by standard post and one by signed for to demonstrate she has received it.