How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6733
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My previous landlord invested some money with me and the

This answer was rated:

My previous landlord invested some money with me and the investment lost so now he is threatening me to pay him all the money back even through the money was spent on products which were not sold. He is now threatening me to contact the home office to tell them that I did not live at the property to sabotage my application.
I am very scared. what can I do?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much did he lose please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lost amount is £16,000

I assume you have evidence you lived at the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have voting forms, bank statements, mobile phone bills, etc. He also lived in the same property (two bedroom flat). But, sometimes I would be at my friends for a few nights away so he is saying as he is the main tenant that he will sabotage my home office application unless I paid him the money back in full although he knows the business lost!

Ok, then you do not need to worry about this. It does not matter if you stayed a few nights at a friends, if your home was your primary residence that is all that is required.

You should write to your ex Landlord and say he is on notice that unless he gives a promise not to write these lies you will get an injunction.

If he refuses to do so then you can seek an injunction to stop him. You would need to complete forms N1:

And N16a:
If the Court grants and injunction and he breaks it, this is contempt of Court which he can be warned, fined or sent to prison.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great. I just have a question with regards ***** ***** case, would it not constitute as blackmailing? As he obviously is blackmailing me and being a bully.

No, that would need a risk of personal injury. This person is not just very nice!
Does that help?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
perfect - thank you so much for your help and advice.