How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6437
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Ben, can I talk to you about my housing benefit issues

This answer was rated:

For Ben Jones'
Hi Ben, can I talk to you about my housing benefit issues confidentially?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for requesting me - unfortunately this is a question which is not within my area of law. I will open to it to all other experts and someone will hopefully pick it up soon. Please do not reply to this as it will just lock the question back to me. Many thanks

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6437
Experience: Solicitor
Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, can I talk to you about my housing benefit issues confidentially?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm an artist that needs a space to work from home so I rented a 2 bedroom flat 5 years ago. I struggled with income so my council agreed to give me a housing benefit of about £800/month (lately £500/month)
Unfortunately I haven't had any jobs so in order to survive and stay in my profession I have rented out my second room, which I now know more clearly that is a benefit fraud.
My latest flatmate who has been promoted is having a security clearance check with the home office, basically her employer. Unaware that I have been receiving housing benefits she has told me that the home office will be contacting my council to check if she has been registered at my address for the 1 year she has been living here.When the home office will contact my council they will find that she is not registered and the council will correctly assume that I was getting benefits when I was not suppose to. If a full investigation goes ahead and they ask for my bank statements they will find out that she was not just paying me every month £630 but in July I also had some jobs and got paid £3000 in July and £5000 in August.This change in my financial situation I was going to report and eventually ask them if we should stop my benefits because of it and then I could have my flatmate legally stay. But unfortunately this home office security check issue came earlier and now I'm trying to find the best solution out of this mess even if I have to slowly pay back the benefits I have received.I haven't been contacted by anyone yet, but I have all reasons to believe that I will be contacted by my council soon, most likely for an interview.I have a few questions. Could you please advise what you think could be the best way forward?1, I could go to the council without delay and tell them about the money I got from jobs in July and August, so at least when the investigation comes they see the issue is only with my flatmate and not with my income as well. This could reduce 2 frauds to 1 I guess but also it would bring an attention to my issue or maybe not. Do you think I should wait until my flatmate status gets investigated first and get a lawyer only then or start to request the end of my housing benefits because my financial situation has changed but also bring a spotlight on me?2, Do you think when this 1 year unreported flatsharing will be investigated they will also want to see my bank statements further back? I’m asking because before this I had other flatmates for about 4 years while I was taking benefits. So I wonder if this issue is only about this period or it will likely go back all the way 5 years when I moved into this council.3, What do you think will be the outcome of this case? Paying the money back, prosecution? Is it expensive to hire a solicitor in my case?Thank you, I’m waiting for your response.Adrian

Do you have a number we can chat on Adrian?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please. It's***********

I will call you shortly, if that is ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks. It would be helpful if you first read what I sent. I hope you can see it

I will do.