How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a 3 bed roomed detached property which I have rented

Customer Question

I have a 3 bed roomed detached property which I have rented out for the last ten years with no real problems. Last year we accepted a new tenant, a housing association. They told us that they re-housed vulnerable people with 24/7 live-in carers. Last month the 'vulnerable' tenant tried to set fire to the property in a suicide attempt. Significant fire and smoke damage was caused and the tenant was removed and sectioned into hospital. Here's the problem, the housing association will not accept responsibility for the damage even though they initially said that they would, and that they were insured. Their insurer has rejected their claim. I do have my own landlord insurance on the property, and they have been informed of the fire, but I'm not sure if we are covered by them. The housing association are clearly liable according to the terms of the tenancy agreement, but is it worth pursuing them through the courts? How can I put pressure on them? Should I just claim through my insurance? Can you give me any advice please.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Have you spoken to your insurance company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have notified them of the incident (which I was advised to do by my letting agent) but I have not spoken to them again, I only found out this morning that the housing association do not intend to have the repairs done.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a copy of the tenancy agreement? Can you attach it to a message.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll send you a copy. Give me a little time to locate it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having trouble attaching the tenancy agreement. Your system keeps throwing a wobbler. It's 10mb in size so that might be the problem. I can e-mail it to you directly if you give me your e-mail, alternatively, if you want to remain incognito, I can put it on-line for you and send a link to the file. Either way works for me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive my last message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I can't wait any longer. 2 or 3 hours between messages is unacceptable.