How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12174
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My aunt recently died and named me as a beneficiary in her

This answer was rated:

My aunt recently died and named me as a beneficiary in her will. she has left her house to me.
However, she has called me by the wrong surname. My name is***** has referred to me as Gill***** *****dley. She often referred to me as 'Handley'. I have no idea why.
She made reference to my residence : 1 Bentley Close Rogerstone, NP10 0AJ, which is where I live and have lived for 15 years. Her will was made in 2009.
What can I do to correct the for?
The will has gone through probate.

When it comes to registering your title, the lawyer could do it by designing you as Gillian Chapman, otherwise Gill***** *****dley. An affidavit by you explaining your aunt's name for you could be put in as supporting evidence.

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12174
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years.

There is no requirement for an affidavit at all and the Land Registry will not hav eto be involved at all

The only person who needs evidence that you are the person in question is the Executor and his her or their lawyer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Will states that the house was left to me. There is a charge on the property in favour of the local council in respect of care home fees.
The executor has told me that I cannot go in the house,that at she will sell it, even though it needs some work, and that I am entitled to the proceeds only. I had thought to pay off the charge and either live in the house or rent it out but she says I have no choice in the matter. Is she exceeding her authority?
Thank you.

Yes she is exceeding her authority - the house is yours and if you can pay the charge then that is your decision