How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10400
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

Our water on our 300 acre farm is supplied by Severn Trent,

Customer Question

Our water on our 300 acre farm is supplied by Severn Trent, our meter is 530 meters across our fields away from our house. But after approximately 400 meters a spur goes off to 2 privately owned cottages that have their own meters. Which Severn Trent call a network because their meter reading are subtracted from our meter reading, to provide us with a bill. A problem has arisen as the old pipe is degrading and we are having substantial water leaks. Could you confirm what Severn Trent responsibly is, as at the moment they are denying any responsibility and we are faced with substantial costs.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

The water authority are only responsible for the pipe up to the point where it crosses the boundary into your property.

After that, it becomes your responsibility.

If it crosses your boundary and then goes off to supply 2 privately owned cottages, and the corrosion is before the spur, it’s a joint responsibility between you and the cottages.

If the corrosion is after the spur, it is your responsibility.

Basically, the cottages only have responsibility if they get the benefit of the part which needs replacing.

It is different for sewers.With sewers, anything which is shared is responsibility of the utility company.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The distance between the main meter and the spur to the cottages is 400 metres, which is corroded and we share all use of, which according to your advice is joint responsibility. Can this be split equally between the 3 properties or are there any guidelines how you a portion it
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

You apportion it according to use. Hence, if you are using 10 times as much water as they are because of your commercial element, then you would pay 10 times what they would pay in respect of the repair costs.