How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10396
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My son has a court summons for non payment of a train fare,

Customer Question

My son has a court summons for non payment of a train fare , which I actually paid for but on the day of travel he was unable to print the ticket we have appealed to the Train Investigations but because letters crossed in the post we were too late they don't want to discuss the case now it has been passed to the court , who can I contact to discuss the case as the court summons has no details on it ? he has all the documentation to prove he paid for the ticket etc. Common sense tells me they wouldn't want to bother with this case if they had all the detaisl before hand ??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Have they seen the evidence and do they accept that the ticket was paid but they want to go to court anyway?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Train Investigations people have seen all the evidence that they asked for but they seem to want the hard copy of the original tickets too ? which my son no longer has...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If they are going to blindly go to court, your son has no option but to defend the proceedings.

Criminal proceedings are decided beyond all reasonable doubt and it would be for the prosecution to prove beyond all reasonable doubt, that your son had not paid for the ticket.

This is not a matter for the court for the train investigation unit and if your sons discussion with them as hit a brick wall, then he has no alternative but to go to court and let the magistrates decide the issue.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.