How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am a community councillor and at a meeting this week a

This answer was rated:

I am a community councillor and at a meeting this week a member of the public made a series of accusations about the community council. He also made a number of comments about me.
Much of what he said was merely his opinion and or insulting.
However he made a number of comments that called into question my personal commitment and engagement with the community. I can provide evidence that these comments were untrue and would be likely to damage my reputation.
He also accused a member of the public of lying at a previous meeting, she can prove this is untrue and also feels that her reputation has been damaged by these comments
I would like these untrue comments to be withdrawn and for the person in question to apologise

In the first instance you should instruct your solicitor to issue a cease and desist letter to this person demanding that they do not repeat the allegations and that they withdraw the allegations by way of a letter of apology. If they don't do this then your remedy is to issue proceedings. That of course is very expensive and may not be an option that you would wish to follow. Happy to discuss. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you