How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

If I purchased a property solely after a seperation (I am in

This answer was rated:

If I purchased a property solely after a seperation (I am in the process of a divorce)...I have 4 children, but 4 months ago, my Ex put his name on the land registry for 'my' much would I now have to give him?

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:
-How old are you both?
-How long have you been married?

-How long have you been separated?
-How old are the children and what are the arrangements for them?
-What is the value of the property, and what is the outstanding mortgage?
-Who is now living in the property?
-Whose name is ***** ***** in?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 44-he is 51
We had been married 14 years
My children are 12,12,9,3- they live with me.
We have been separated two years
The value of property is £300, is £180,000k
The property is in my name
I live here with my 4 daughters
We have no other assets -as we split money when separated.
I earn £400pcm
He earns about £40k a year.

What was the division of assets when you separated and where is he now living? Is he living in rented or owned property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I toke £200k as did he.
He is living in rented accommodation.
He had gone bankrupt 2 years prior.

How was the previous division of assets reached and was there a formal agreement reflecting it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sadly there was not a formal agreement, it was done mutually at the time.
I didn't know at that time about a formal agreement

Not to worry as you can still present the previous agreement if there are issues regarding him trying to obtain more assets from you. As part of a full and final financial settlement the court will take into account the previous agreement, and consider both your financial positions and needs now and whether there needs to be a further division of assets.

Given that you and have the sole care of the children your needs are likely to be much higher than his. You would also need to consider whether there should be a child maintenance provision as you have the care of the children - you can apply directly to the CMS for child maintenance if he does not agree to pay this voluntarily and it is based on his gross income and how often the children stay with him.

You will also need to consider obtaining an immediate divorce from him and to simultaneously finalise the financial matter to protect your future position.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you