How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have lived with my partner for 11 years, we are not

This answer was rated:

I have lived with my partner for 11 years, we are not married. I put down the deposit for our house but my partner wanted his company to own it as it is more tax efficient for him. He paid back the deposit. We now wish to separate. He does not think that I am entitled to any increase in equity in the property. I accept that he paid cash for house but I have decorated , furnished and looked after it. Is he right?

Hi, thank you for your question. Were there any formal agreements in place regarding contributions and is the property still in the name of the company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We agreed to pay equally towards running costs which we have done and we have both paid for improvements. When we moved in, he provided me with a statement indicating that I could stay in the property as long as I wished should he die before me but no legal agreements were entered into. The property remains in his company's name, Thanks, Madeleine

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, the legal position is that you have no legal interest in the property, however given that you have an intention and a statement from him you would be entitled to apply to court for your contributions that have led to an increase in the value of the property.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.