How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a daughter that I have been seperated from since she

This answer was rated:

I have a daughter that I have been seperated from since she was 5years old and have regularly paid child maintanence but fortunately not had any contact with her
I have just received a letter from a law firm stating my daughter is going to Aberdeen university for a study coarse and asking me to support her with continuing to pay the child maintenance amount for the next four years
My daughter is 18 this October am I legally bound to pay this or any amount of money towards this

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Where does your daughter live?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know last known address was Maidstone Kent had no contact for 13 years

Ok thats fine.

May I ask how much you currently earn (round figures) and what dependants you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I earn 50k per year and have no other dependants

May I just check - do you pay under a Court Order, via the CSA or voluntarily

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's paid directly to the mothers account now as the Csa finished and was past to child maintenance this year


Under Schedule 1 of the Children Act your daughter is entitled to apply to the courts for maintenance provided she can show that her income from all sources (including a part time job) does not meet her reasonable needs.

I suggest that you write back and say that if you receive full details of her income - from all sources - and her list of "reasonable" expenditure then you will consider the matter.

The percentage approach is not appropriate - and your commitments are also considered

Frankly I feel it is positively rude to ask you for more help when she does not have the courtesy to ask in person - but that is a personal not a legal opinion

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to get a solicitor to write or can I do that. The letter I received states that her monthly living cost is £966 with £200 a year for books and materials on top of that , her mother is paying some but I am still being asked for 50% of her monthly cost which is I feel unreasonable considering there has been no contact for 13 years that was there choice not mine, if I offered to cover the cost of books and materials is this likely to be considered

My My what a large amount!

I would want a breakdown and to know what jobs she has looked for.

Offering to cover the cost of books etc is a good option.

Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you