How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6795
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have a wheelchair adapted council property. (I am not

This answer was rated:

I have a wheelchair adapted council property. (I am not currently in a wheelchair) They have replaced all Windows and doors and the French doors now have a threshold. This is dispite attending every consultation meeting meeting with surveyors etc and being told it would be replaced like for like with no threshold - they now want to add ramps? Can I get them to install
No threshold doors I trip v easily and a ramp will not be good

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rent a council property which was adapted for wheelchair use as I was in a wheelchair when I moved in. The council are doing window/door replacements. I have met with council and contractors and all agreed would be like for like no threshold French doors.The French doors that are fitted have a threshold and they are stating they cannot do without a threshold. They are saying the will ramp inside/outside to take away the threshold which leaves me with a tripping hazard. I want them to replace as promised/ discussed and put in no threshold French doors not a ramp. Do I have any options to get them to replace like for like ? Basically they have lied at every stage confirming that it will be no threshold doors and are now doing what I expect they always were going to do which is put in ramps

Ok - have you spoke to the Council? What do they say?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the moment that the contractors cannot do no threshold doors - I have suggested they get them
To contract someone else to get them.. The glazer who fitted said they are available - although perhaps not from the company used. Council are saying looking into it - coming next week will possibly with occupational therapist to look at ramp options

Ok - you need to speak with the Council. See what they say. If they do not resolve it then you should write to the Chief Officer of the Council. That department will investigate the complaint.

If that does not resolve it then you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint for free at:

That should get things changed for you. Also you should contact your local Councillor. They are elected by you and as such should be able to help with local issues.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If they are going to ramp inside and outside so there is access are they meeting the legal requirements of accessibility ? Even though they are not doing what they said?

Exactly. They should be doing what they said. They are not and you should not let them get away with all these lies and deceit.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you