How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I had not seen my brother for 30 years.5 years ago I learnt

This answer was rated:

I had not seen my brother for 30 years.5 years ago I learnt he had died 5 years before that. Has I presumed I was the only next of kin the money he had left in an insurance policy can to me after I had proved who I was.i have now received a letter from the insurance company stating that someone has come forward saying she is his daughter.can they tell her who I am and also could she claim anything from me if she is his daughter

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much did you receive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you know about this person who has come forward - has she produced a birth certificate?

What paperwork did you sign when you received the money?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I know is that she contacted the insurance company .She hasn't any idea of who I am and what I received.the insurance company wrote to me and said they could not tell her anything due to the data protection act .I do not wish to know or contact her.but wanted to know if she could claim against me if she did find out about me

Have they said if she has produced evidence of her identity?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They don't need to because they can't tell her anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your time I am now going away.if I pursue this when I return I shall contact you thank you again

The simple fact is that no they cannot release details without your agreement - they can simply say that they paid the money to her "father's" brother

However if she traces you herself and provides evidence that she is his daughter then yes I am afraid you will have to repay her the money - even if it has to be in monthly installments

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you