How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I'm getting in touch to assess what are my rights with

This answer was rated:

I'm getting in touch to assess what are my rights with regards ***** ***** case.
I'm a tenant at a property that is privately owned above 2 council flats. I have completed the first year of contract (on the 15th may '16) and signed another 12 months (until the 15th May '17). However due to safety issues I've informed the landlord I do not wish to conplete the 12 months.
Around the end of March '16 I had to report to the police when my debit card and pin number that came in the post was stolen and £500 were widrawn from my personal bank account. At the time I also informed the landlord that my neighbours had asked me to used my internet account which is ilegal. The landlord told me I didn't need to stay if I didn't feel safe but at the time I tried to give the benefit of doubt and decided to stay. However in the following months I've observed countless people in enibriated states coming in an out of the house and more of my post got stolen too. I'm pretty sure the neighbours are dealing ilegal substances as I've seen transations happening and was asked if I wanted some myself, which I've refused. On top of this the front plate of my car got stolen on the street in front of the house, which I have also reported to the police.
I do not feel safe living here at all and want to leave as soon as possible. My tenancy agreement has a break clause which states I must give two months notice if I'm to breach the contract and I have spoken to my landlord of my intentions both over the phone and in writing. However, due to the circumstances I do not feel safe to stay another 2 months given the facts stated above. Is there any tenant law that protects me from having to stay in a property that is unsafe and shared with criminals? I can understand if the landlord keeps the deposit as it exists to safeguard the landlord in cases of breach of contract, but having to pay 2 months rent and be kept in a flat I do not feel safe seems really unreasonable.
Many thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please still send the answer by email before we speak on the phone so I can keep a record.Many thanks

Do you have a copy of the tenancy agreement which you can attach to a message. I can review the break clause and advise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just upoaded a copy of the contract.

3.42 is the break clause. Earliest you can serve notice is Nov to terminate in Jan. This will be without penalty.

5.4 shows address for service. Notice must be in writing and served on the landlord at this address.

You state you have spoken to the landlord. any written agreement that you can vacate early?

The landlord does not have to agree.

You have informed the landlord of alleged criminal activity, it this within your property or within the vicinity, I.e outside/neighbouring property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The landlord has agreed for to me to breach contract and to terminate by the 3rd of November provided I give 2 months rent. He does know about all the crimes reported to the police too. The building is a converted victorian house split in 3 flats with a common post box hallway and stairs. The crimes were commited both inside the building and outside the building. I.e, the post and money stolen were from the common hallway inside of building, however the front plate of the car was stolen outside in fromt of the building.The landlord agreed in writting (email comms) that I can breach contract provided I pay 2 months rent until the 3rd of November.
Can I pay these two months and leave anyhow? I just cannot stay in a building where I do not feel safe at all.

What does the landlord want, 2 months rent on top of what you would normally pay? What about the deposit?

Do you still need assistance?

propertylawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. All is settled now.