How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71133
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I know my daughter has been subject to a violent attack

This answer was rated:

I know my daughter has been subject to a violent attack which resulted in her boy friend being put in prison in Devon on a specfic date. As her father and because I am worried about my grand daughter in the same house, can I ask for disclosure on the police evidence

Anybody can ask anything.

However, they will not tell you. It is subject to data protection regulations and other they would not want reprisals as that creates a public order problem.

You are perfectly entitled to attend court and hear the evidence. If your daughter doesn't co-operate then you can always report her to social services as that is just plain failing to protect her child.

Good to see you are focusing upon the right person. If your daughter chooses to live with a violent man that is her free choice. A child is a different matter entirely.

Do not let her make you responsible for her poor choices though.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There were no charges so it will not come to court. I thought there was a new law (Claras Law???) where I could ask for disclosure or at least a consultation with either the police or social security. It is the third attack and fairly horrific. Do the police have a duty to at least report the incident to social services ........?

Claire's law won't really help all that much. It will only tell you whether he has any history. Since you know there was an attack anyway that really doesn't add much.

The police will make a report if they feel there are child care issues although the absence of a charge might indicate there are doubts over her evidence.

If I were you though I would report it.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you