How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10226
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

If a mother puts the house in which they both live in joint

Customer Question

If a mother puts the house in which they both live in joint names with 2 adult daughters who sharee the house will there be reservation of benefit for IT purposes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If the mother puts the house into the name of her and her 2 daughters, and she lives in it without her daughters but doesn’t pay rent, then it is a gift with reservation and could potentially be put aside for IHT purposes.

For the transfer to be effective for IHT purposes, the mother must relinquish all interest in the property or pay the full market rent to the new owners or the new owners must pay the full market value for it even if the mother continues to live in the property rent free

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails. Best wishes.