How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Simple me and ex partner have both taken legal advice and

This answer was rated:

Simple me and ex partner have both taken legal advice and signed separation agreement we both want terms of that translated into consent order. Since the key words are no further claim would it be much cheaper to largely use this as a template. And/or would it be possible In this case to draft it myself on that basis but checked and signed by solicitor and est of cost.

Hi, thank you for your question. Are you in England or Wales and are you married to each other?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we're in England, yes we are married though lived apart over 5yrs. No dependents involved. Agreement between ourselves has been reached amicably and fairly and separation agreement drawn up. Both sides taken legal advice and agreement signed and witnessed by solicitors on both sides. Neither side wants to make any further claim on other and that is clearly set out in agreement. She had a 20k lump sum from me when we parted from pension and I've kept record. It is just about proceeds of house sale. House now sold and agreement of split clearly set out in agreement. We've no wish for any legal fight. Just want consent order done simply cheaply and straightforward as possible. I know consent order comes in after divorce granted.

What stage of the divorce has been reached? Has a Decree Nisi been granted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No house has just been sold and I will be putting divorce papers in on grounds of 5yrs separation. We've just got the separation agreement done in readiness. There's no animosity on either side or wrangles we've just got it agreed signed and witnessed. Made sense to get house sale done with first. Should be straightforward.

Thanks for confirming. The consent order will need to be in a specific format to include all the relevant legal clauses to end claims between you and to provide a clean break, as well as detail the previous agreement and settlement reached - this can be done using precedents such as this one provided by the courts:

But it would be in your interest to instruct the previous solicitors to do this given they are already aware of the agreement and have represented you.

The consent order can only be submitted once the Decree Nisi is granted.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you