How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I purchased VW Touareg which was second hand from a main

This answer was rated:

I purchased VW Touareg which was second hand from a main dealer. In a very short space of time the car roughly has been back in for multiple repairs and engine and gearbox replacements. I have a small amount of finance on the car which I am still paying. I have contacted both party's and asked for a replacement vehicle or my money back under the sale of goods act 1979. The finance people have been in contact and agree something should be done but are waiting for the garage to reply. The garage have not contacted me other than to say they received my letter back in June/July.
What can I do now, if anything? Time is moving on. My car is to go back in again for more work to done next Monday.

When did you buy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the exact date on me but less than 2 yrs ago

OK. How much did you pay and how old is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is now 4 yrs old and at the time of purchase including finance 28,000 pounds. Finance was over 3 yrs and I have roughly 3,000 left to pay. The car has had 2 engines and 3 gearboxes and a heater control unit, multiple faults after each visit to the garage. ( all the exact details are at home I am at work til this afternoon )

Ok. Thanks.

There is no realistic chance of recovering the full amount paid I'm afraid. Come what may, you have received the benefit of this car for two years and there would be a reduction in any refund to reflect that. The law clearly allows that.

However, this was a relatively expensive purchase and a newish car. The number of repairs are not acceptable.

At the very least a like for like exchange is due.

If that is not acceptable or not possible then you could ask for a refund but there will be a reduction to reflect your use from the vehicle unless, of course, they are willing to agree more than that.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I get satisfaction from the garage when they are reluctant to contact me, and have not since late June/July ? Is another letter required because they have had ample time to contact me and have not as yet other than to say we acknowledge the letter (first ) one?

Remind me how long ago you wrote to them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was either back end of June or July, as I said the details are at home. I think it was the 26th June

Well, you cant force them to reply.

If they refuse to engage then your only option is to sue.

It is not likely to come to that though.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you