How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am about to rent a house I have been told that I have to

This answer was rated:

I am about to rent a house I have been told that I have to sign an agreement for the first year and then after that I can ask for a month or two month notice to be included is this true.

Hi, thank you for your question. If your 12 month tenancy agreement ends then you will automatically be on a statutory periodic tenancy. This means if your rent is monthly then your tenancy will be a rolling monthly tenancy and if it is weekly it will be a rolling weekly tenancy. For statutory periodic tenancies, you need to give a minimof 1 month notice and the landlord must give a minimum of 2 months notice to end the tenancy.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply but what I want to know is do I have to sign for a year without any notice on my first agreement

The 12 month tenancy would be a fixed period and it is usually that both you and the landlord would be unable to end the tenancy during the fixed-term

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You that has answered my question clearly

No worries, I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you