How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50175
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My son has a letter about a debt of £915 of which he knows

This answer was rated:

My son has a letter about a debt of £915 of which he knows nothing. Marston, who are collectors for HMC&T have sent the letter saying that Bailiffs will call if he doesn't pay. We have tried to call them but can get no response - have left call-back numbers several times, but received no call-backs. How can we find out what this is for?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How old is the debt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what it is for. The letter I received just refers to it as a fine. I have tried to call Marston, but cannot get through and they do not call me back. The 14 days are up tomorrow, so need to know what I am going to have to pay the bailiffs for if it comes to that.
Marstons are a recognised debt collector for HMC&T and the number given to call is 0845(###) ###-####and the reference is(###) ###-####

OK thank yo. Thank you also for the live phone call request. I am unable to talk at the moment as I am in court today but please leave it with me and I will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

It would appear that this is a court-related debt if HM Courts and Tribunals are the ones chasing it. Before you pay anything you have the right to know what the debt is for but this information will only really be available from Marston themselves or the courts.

You gave already tried calling the company a number of times with no success. At this stage you may wish to consider following their formal complaints procedure to try and get a more formal response. Yu may initiate this here:

You may also wish to contact the local Magistrates court to see if they have any details on this. They could for example search under his name and address to see if anything has been registered against it.

The following is also good advice on how to deal with the bailiffs and your options on agreeing some form of repayment: