How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I own a ground floor apartment in communal block. We have a

Customer Question

I own a ground floor apartment in communal block. We have a communal front garden. On an adjoining piece of ground there is a culvert and the owner of adjoining land has deposited a large mound of earth surrounding the culvert for the purposes of stopping flooding. This mound of earth has turned into a playground for children and their bicycles and the public cut over this mound to get onto the path to the nearby woodland walk. The situation I now have is all these people are up level with my window and this has greatly affected my privacy. I appreciate they had to do something to stop a flooding situation but feel adjoining residents's privacy was not considered. Do we have any recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.

I fear that you do not have any legal recourse available to you. The neighbour can largely do what he likes on his land as long as he does not breach the law and there is no obvious breach here. There is no general right not to be overlooked. Is there anything on the deeds (checkable at the land registry) preventing this mound eg a restrictive covenant. Without something of that nature there will be no recourse for you.