How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My friend,a Russian lady living in Russia, wishes to divorce

This answer was rated:

My friend,a Russian lady living in Russia, wishes to divorce her British husband who is now living in the UK. She has been advised that the divorce must be conducted in the UK. There are no children and she does not want to make any financial demands on her husband. She has been told that the Russian Consulate and/or the British Consulate can offer her a divorce, but I have been un successful in establishing this. Please can you help?

Hi, thank you for your question. Is the husband in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. I do not know about the laws in Russia, but under English law as the husband is resident in England the wife can pursue a divorce here. There are five facts of divorce she can rely on:

-unreasonable behaviour

-adultery (he must admit this)

-2 years separation (he must consent to this)

-2 years desertion

-5 years separation

You can see more guidance, along with the necessary forms required to pursue the divorce here:

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been told in Russia that her divorce must take place in the UK And that a free divorce service is available via the Russian and/or the British consulate in London. I have tried to check this without success. Please can you help? She was married in Russia. There are no children Nd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** you know about the possibility of a divorce 'via' the consular services, as she was told?

I am afraid I have never come across such a service and she would still need to go through the English courts