How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My stepson has been renting a house with a friend. The

Customer Question

My stepson has been renting a house with a friend. The tenancy was due for renewal and he advised the landlord he was leaving and not renewing. His housemate moved his girlfriend in, in his place, that the landlord is aware of and agreed. However he said my stepson can't get HIS part of the deposit back until his friend also leaves the property. Surely my stepsons tenancy has ended so he is entitled to his share back. The landlord should be getting the remainder of the deposit from the new tenant and creating a new tenancy agreement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

For now please let me know what type of tenancy he had please? Was it an assured shorthold?