How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10734
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My wife and I separated a few years ago and I would like to

This answer was rated:

My wife and I separated a few years ago and I would like to transfer the owenrship of the property we own to her. I am the outright owner, only my name is ***** ***** deeds and I pay the mortgage. I would continue to pay the mortgage, but would like legal ownership to be hers. I have her full consent for this arrangement. Can you please advise the required steps ?
Many thanks,
Joe Birkett

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. Before you can proceed, you will need to obtain the consent of the Mortgage Lender as the Mortgage will need to be transferred into your wife's name (whoever's name is ***** ***** Deeds will also need to be on the Mortgage). So, provided your wife could afford to pay the Mortgage, in the eyes of the Lender, they will grant consent.

Subject to the above, the procedure is pretty straight forward- you would both need to instruct separate Solicitors to deal with the Transfer. Your Solicitor would need to prepare the Land Registry Transfer document, which is signed by both of you, and then registered at the Land Registry.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you