How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6453
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

We have a supplier who back in June agreed to install some

This answer was rated:

We have a supplier who back in June agreed to install some wireless devices for a customer after a few calls they the decided they required a deposit payment of £500.00 which was paid in good faith, they then decided the deal was not profitable for them and pulled out at the last minute, we had a outstanding invoice of £1628 for another job they did complete. we agreed via email to take off the £500.00 and we would pay the balance of the invoice, we need a credit for the invoice which we never received today I received a mail stating if we donot pay the full amount they will take the co to court plus costs I sent them the mail agreeing to minus the £500.00 they replied we are clutching at straws see in court.
Could you let me know how we stand - we lost a customer we could not proceed because of the skills required which gave the co a loss of 2500 + reputation

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Why has the company refused to pay you back the £500 deposit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WE were going to take it off the original invoice for the balance owed for another job they did

Did they initially agree to do the work, you have this in writing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
via email

Ok - then what you could even do is subtract the EXTRA cost that this job cost you.

For example if the order from this supplier was £1000 and it ended up costing you £500 you could claim this additional cost back,
So you have a claim for the additional cost and the £500 deposit.

You are entitled to deduct it - they simply can NOT keep it.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when they wend the claim through we deduct the amounts it has cost us a counter claim ?

Correct. If they send a claim through you can counter claim for the deposit plus excess costs

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you..

All the best.