How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I have a narrowboat, waiting to be painted at Alvechurch

This answer was rated:

I have a narrowboat, waiting to be painted at Alvechurch Marina, which they estimate is worth £75 to £85k. Marina is well overdue to complete the work but as it is stripped back to bare metal it, will be difficult to take it away and sell it for much more than £30k. I've suggested they buy it from me for £70K and then they can take as long as they like to finish the job and then they can sell it. They are currently "waiting for an answer from another paint shop" who may finish the job for them. What are my options?

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Did they give you a time estimate to complete the work? How much work of value have they actually completed to date? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you AJ. Marina requested we take boat 23 June and we arrived 13 June and waited. They were unable to start work until 4th JUly and I was promised the work would be done by end of August. This changed to end of September but the boat is still in the paint tunnel having been stripped back to metal. So some work has been done and I think painting will take 3 weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know they have staffing issues and have been patient and sympathetic. But I am getting concerned that I may end up with an unpainted rusty boat that I can't sell!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last time I chased the marina manager was Tuesday when he said that they still haven't heard back from the other marina (a local one that they want to use to finish painting the boat) but expect to move it later this week. I can only keep chasing each time their "excuse time" runs out or is there something else i can do?

Hi, Thank you. When they said the word would be finished by the end of August did they take a deposit or refer to this date in writing? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. No deposit has been requested or paid. I have emails that state costs and estimated delivery dates which I can send you.
What are your thoughts in terms of direction? I'm wondering what options I have (hence request to talk by phone). My number is ***** 882 406 and I am currently in Poland if you want to use Skype to ring (or I can ring you).

Hi, Thank you. In terms of how to pursue this you have a few options:

(i) You take the boat back and ask someone else to complete the work;

(ii) You push ahead with the sale you proposed;

(iii) You could consider suing them for breach of contract under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 -failure to provide the services within a reasonable period of time.

Do you actually want the boat?

Kind regards AJ

Alex J. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to know and I will decide what to do.
I don't want to keep the boat but will sell it on completion.